It took them long enough, huh? Disney has finally released the trailer to Star Wars: Rogue One which is being dubbed as a Star Wars story which for some reason I absolutely adore. It’s the phrasing I think. Before we discuss, for those of you who might have missed the trailer (why? Are your eyes not glued to the interwebs all day? Do you actually do stuff with your day?), here it is in all it’s glory.
Now let’s discuss, shall we! (Yay bullet points time!!!)
- First things first I loved, loved, loved the music. One of my favorite things about the Jurassic World trailer was how they isolated the Jurassic Park theme with just a piano and how it seemed to hang through the entire trailer. It instantly gave me goosebumps and all those nostalgia feels of being a kid reading Jurassic Park (and not fully understanding the science but knowing that dinosaurs are super cool).Taking Star Wars themes and playing them slowly with just a piano did the same thing for me here, and I need these versions on my ipod. Like yesterday.
- From a visual standpoint I really dug how the movie was able to maintain the shine and gloss of a Star Wars movie but also seemed kind of gritty. I’m hoping Rogue One can explore some more of the dingy areas of the galaxy and roll around in the grime a little bit.
- I’m digging the casting of Felcity Jones, even though I’m still bummed that Tatiana Maslany didn’t get the gig, and love that the main character of this story will be a woman. A criminal who isn’t afraid to rage against the machine…
- Which brings me to my next point. I liked seeing a different perspective of the Empire. Through the movies we haven’t really gotten a great feel for what it’s like to be oppressed by the Empire or how it is existing down in the trenches. The use of Storm Troopers like enforcers and bullies might be able to bolster their reputation. Seriously those guys couldn’t hit water if they fell out of a boat.
- Any thing that has Forest Whitaker in it has my approval (this does not include Battlefield Earth but does include Ghost Dog).
- AT-AT Walkers not in the snow!!!
- The dark storm trooper!! What is that?!?!
- Was Mads Mikkelsen the guy running with the dread like hair? If so awesome. If not, where was he in this trailer?
- Theory time: The glimpse of the figure in the hood kneeling down, did you guys notice to the left and right of him were Imperial Guards. Those guys only show up when the Emperor is around so is it possible that this hooded figure is Darth Vader?! We’ve never seen Vader wear a hood before but if I was betting I would say it was him.
- The idea of a Star Wars movie without a light saber intrigues me. For some reason I find it kind of exciting.
So, what did you guys think of the trailer? I really didn’t know what to expect from the first Star Wars spin-off movie (I’m sorry I mean Star Wars Story) but this far exceeded my expectations. My original thoughts were it was going to feel cheap and not have that magic that accompanies most Star Wars films, but this looks like it’s able not only capture some of that magic but something else. There is a sense of brooding, danger, and darkness bubbling through this trailer and I’m wondering if Rogue One could get pretty heavy. The mission itself is a huge part to the Star Wars universe, but we never hear if any of these characters survive. Could it be possible that this movie is just a suicide job? If that’s the case it’s definitely darker territory for the franchise. If this is what we can expect from the future spin-off movies then I’m totally in. I could get excited for a new Star Wars film every year. I will not complain. I promise.