Geeklings, please insert catchy and interesting opening sentence here. I was trying to write something to grab your attention (at one point I even tried to use the word Halloweenie and it just felt wrong) but nothing was coming out organically. Skip to me asking you to to insert your own catchy opening and all of a sudden it’s like the dam broke and I’m finding the words again. Oh happiest of happy days!
Happy Halloween Geeklings! I want to say that today’s Week In Geek will be Halloween inspired but that’s not really true. Don’t get me wrong I mention some Halloween like things but there are other wonderful geeky items for us to be paying attention to this week. Like what you may ask? Well, allow me to tell you “like what”
1. Doctor Strange– This is what you need to know. Cumberbatch. Magic. Mads Mikelsen as a villain. Marvel. Inception like visuals. Cumberbatch. Currently sitting at a 90% on Rotten Tomatoes, Doctor Strange looks to be something entirely different from Marvel, and the last time they gave us something completely different (Guardians) they knocked it out of the park. How could this be bad?
2. Stranger Things pop vinyl figures– I saw this on my Faceyspace feed this afternoon and proceeded to geek the eff out. I’ve been waiting (very patiently I might add) for Funko to make this announcement and getting blindsided by the news had me sending my sister gifs of Dustin screaming about chocolate pudding. Yeah, I was that excited. I want them all if I’m speaking honestly but I think I’m going to stick with eight. All the Eleven’s (need those exclusives yo), the Upside Down Mike, the rest of the gang, and a little Demogorgon action. The only thing is I don’t want to wait till next year. Gimme, gimme, gimme, gimme… as a matter of fact I’m going to pre-order one of the Eleven exclusives tonight because that’s how I roll.
3. Badadook– I’m a little late to the party here but I just watched this last week (for the first time) and it is honestly one of the scariest movies I’ve seen in a while. I mean scary to the point where I got home and felt the need to check the Fortress of Nerditude to make sure there was nothing there looking to eat my soul. The movie preys on your anxiety and you spend the first half of the movie wanting to shake a child, but it really builds and delivers an intense conclusion that will make you want to keep the lights on a little while longer.
4. Halloween- That’s right Geeklings, tonight is Halloween and you should all be celebrating. Whether it’s trick or treating with your kids, carving some pumpkins, or just watching horror movies until your eyes bleed do something to get you in the holiday mood. If you’re looking for a couple of horror movie suggestions allow me to give you some of my Halloween go to movies.
- Halloween (duh) (the original)
- The Exorcist
- The Descent
- The Thing
- 28 Days Later/Dawn of the Dead (remake)