Geeklings, was it me or did we have an especially great geeky weekend?! Sooooo many things happened and each one was more awesome then the last. The best part was it was completely unexpected (who drops a movie trailer on a Saturday?!). I was just sitting at home minding my own business and then one thing after another kept popping through my feed to the point where I had to stop re-watching the first episode of Westworld so I could focus on my social media. I tell you Geeklings, life is hard sometimes.
I’m sure you see I didn’t use a lot of specifics above because a number of those Geeky items will be appearing in the list below, and I don’t want to give them away for free in the opening paragraph. Where’s the fun in that?! If I gave you all your geeky needs at the top of the column there would be no reason for you to stick around and read my always witty banter. Who am I deprive you of that?
You will notice that there are some omissions from the list though, mainly the Westworld finale, but that doesn’t mean I’ve forgotten about it. Actually it’s one of the things I’ve been thinking about the most throughout the day. My God this show is masterful. I just want to start it over and let myself see all the things I’m sure I’ve missed, and hopefully pick up on some new stuff too. But that’s tomorrow’s column. Tonight we break down our geeky little week.
1. Last of Us II- This is also going to be a future column but the truth is I haven’t played video games in forever. Not since my PS3 crashed and I lost all of my hard drive. It was crushing. We’ll revisit this pain on a later date though. The last game I happened to play was Last of Us and I can honestly say it’s one of the best games I’ve ever played in my life. The story telling, character development, game play, graphics, music, I can go on and on about this game. Maybe I will later this week but the ending… that effin’ ending. Man it ruined me. Now the announcement of the sequel has me all types of excited. It clearly takes place years after the first and Elle has grown up, but what has she become? How have the events of the first game shaped her? What does Joel think of all this? Ugggggh this is the first time where I’m seriously considering getting my hands on a PS4. I don’t think I can live a life without the knowing the next chapter of this story. I’ve already moved the game’s theme back in my heavy rotation playlist. Hell, I might even start to break the rust and re-play it. Hmmmm…I do have a four day weekend coming up.
2. Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 trailer– I know I wrote about this yesterday but did you really think I’d leave it off the Week In Geek?! Do you not know me at all?! Come on! I will not admit how much I’ve watched this trailer but all you need to know is it’s a lot and it gets more and more awesome with each viewing. Drax is hysterical.
3. The Belko Experiment trailer– Guardians Vol 2 wasn’t the only James Gunn trailer to drop this weekend. While Gunn didn’t direct the Belko Experiment he did write it and if you’ve seen any James Gunn movies that aren’t Guardians then you know what a treat that is. If you don’t believe me be sure to check out Slither and Super two twisted movies that you can’t help but be entertained by. The Belko Experiment looks like it’ll get crazy town banana pants and super violent mixed in with some of that classic Gunn humor with a dash of social commentary. This guy is pretty rad and it’ll be nice to see him back in the horror element before Guardians Vol 2 comes out.
4. Walking Dead midseason finale– I can’t believe we’re half way through this season already. It’s going so fast. I’ve had a blast writing reviews for this show for Fan Fest News and hope that the midseason finale sets up the ball for a wild second half of the season. You have to believe that Rick can only take so much from Negan and the Saviors and at some point this thing is going to come to a head. Negan has had the upper hand this entire time and one would have to think at some point something is going to give. It’s been awhile since anyone has died on this show which leads me to believe that we’re mathematically due. It is The Walking Dead after all.
5. Infinity Gauntlet Coffee Mug– A friend of mine tagged me with this on Faceyspace. It’s the Infinity Gauntlet in mug form!!! Look at it! You can wear it! You. Can. Wear. It. I don’t really need to explain why I need this in my life, do I? Who wouldn’t want to get their inner Thanos on while drinking a hot morning beverage. Is there a better way to start the day? I think not Geeklings. I think not.