Geeklings, I had a bit of an epiphany today. Most mornings are spent trying to figure out what the topic of the day is going to be. I go through a check list of the geeky thoughts in my head and what could possibly be the most entertaining for you guys, and this morning I realized something. I don’t really do enough “Best of Lists”. Outside of the Week In Geek, I really don’t do any lists. I’m not sure why that is. For starters lists are super fun and they always spark great debate/conversation and you guys know how much I love that. Plus, if I’m talking candidly they’re a little easier to write than say a lengthy, thought filled column, and that appeals to the laziness in me. Well, it appeals to the person who sometimes can’t find something to write about.
My immediate thought was that I could make the Best of List a weekly column, which is a score! That gives me two columns a week that I know I’ll be writing. I love knowing for a fact what is ahead of me for the day. For example I know that every Monday I’ll be writing a Week In Geek piece and I know every Wednesday I’m going to write a new Pull List column for Fan Fest News. I don’t want to say that I have to think less about those but it helps me organize my rambling brain a bit more, and I can take all the help I can get. My second thought though was “what would be the first Best of List”, luckily Faceyspace helped out with that one.
Last night on The Tonight Show, Jimmy Fallon did a performance of “Enter Sandman” with Metallica and The Roots using school room instruments. I love it when Fallon does these as they’re always fun and highly enjoyable. Plus for me, who lived through the whole Metallica vs Napster fight, it helped show that maybe Lars isn’t that much of a douche after all. I mean he is but at least he’s willing to do something fun. All this lead me to this piece right here. Our very first Best Of… will be the top five Tonight Show musical instruments performances. As always debate is welcome and the comments are yours if you disagree with my order.
5. Lonely Island “I’m On A Boat”- What is not to like about this song?! Seriously. Love it! I once got a girl to play it in a club on a cruise. That’s a life highlight people. This is fun enough for me to not even mind the fact that it’s edited.
4. Carly Rae Jespen “Call Me Maybe”- Let’s just be honest with each other for a minute. This song is catchy and as much as we want to admit that we don’t like it, it has a way of getting stuck in your head. It’s a vicious ear worm that is only enhanced by the adorable use of school instruments. Damn you Jimmy Fallon…damn you. Plus it was the first one which makes it instantly fun and unique.
3. Sesame Street “Sesame Street Theme”- Jimmy Fallon and the Roots sing a song with a bunch of Muppets. I don’t think this needs further explanation. It’s so cute that my heart could explode in a cloud of glitter and unicorns.
2. Adele “Hello”- Soooooooo, I might have a tad bit of a crush on Adele… a smidge. What I love about this one is that this song was every where…. E V E R Y W H E R E! The NFL even did a parody about the NFC East sampling it (and it was awesome). It helps make the song a little fun and shows that Adele is just pretty awesome at everything (for further proof look at her use of the fake cell phone).
1. Mariah Carey “All I Want For Christmas Is You”– First off, leave it to Mariah Carey to be the only person to walk into frame. Got to have that grand entrance, right? I’m in no mood for holiday music yet but this one is quite charming. When those kids pop up… I can’t.