Geeklings, I’m sorry. I was super lazy last week. I really don’t have an excuse for it. Some weeks are better then others and last week I kind of dragged ass. That’s on me, but this is the start of a new week and I promise fresh, hot, content for your faces as often as I can, which means about four to five posts. I’d be happy with that and I think you would be too.
So, what did I do with my time off? Not a whole lot really. I watched the premier of Legion which I absolutely loved. For serious, that was one of the best pilots I’ve seen in a long time. It was visually stunning with effortless character development and has me excited about the potential of this series. Now I just have to psyche myself up to watch episode two. What? The first episode was so good that I’m afraid that the second one won’t live up to it. I know, it’s a crazy way of thinking but here we are.
What else, what else… oh! I finally finished my book! If you recall that was no easy task, but as of this morning I am free of this tar trap and on to bigger and better things. Oh, happiest of happy days. On top of that I watched the second episode of Firefly and I’m starting to develop a serious crush here. Thought the pilot was good (not great) but the second episode really opened the door to my understanding of why people love this series so much. Looking forward to watching more.
I think that about covers it. One more thing, I saw John Wick 2. I think I’m going to write a bigger piece about this so for now I’ll just say, yes. So much yes.
Now that you guys are all caught up with my comings and goings, what do you say we break down this week. This week in geek… if you will. See what I did there? Cause it’s the title of the column? I’m funny. Right? Someone please validate my existence.
1. The Flash vs. Gorilla Grodd- After taking a small break so those of us in love could celebrate Valentine’s Day, The Flash returns to our television screens this week with the first episode of a two episode arc (what, whaaaaat) that deals with the return of Gorilla Grodd. I’ve loved how this show has built up Grodd to be such a force and hasn’t over used him, so I fully expect these next two episodes to be all types of epic. When last we saw Grodd he had been banished to Earth 2, most conveniently, to a city filled with gorillas. Well, that’s seems to have blown up in everyone’s face as Grodd has kidnapped (apednapped?) the Earth 2 Wells, and now Barry and company have to go and save him. I for one have missed Earth 2 Wells and will be excited to see him again. As a matter of fact, I’ve missed a lot about Earth 2. I’m all about this episode.
2. Castle Rock– Randomly last week there was an announcement that Stephen King and JJ Abrams would be doing a new Hulu show together titled Castle Rock. Instantly Kevin’s ears perked and wanted to know everything about it. Back in the LOST days, Abrams had originally bought the rights for the Dark Tower in hopes of doing a movie but became too busy to do the story justice, and gave the rights back to King. As there is no one book titled Castle Rock, I’m curious to what this show is going to cover specifically. Although, the trailer name drops Shawshank, Needful Things, Pennywise (?!?!?!), Salem’s Lot, and Misery which has me curious. Will this show center just on Castle Rock or expand to cover Derry and other Stephen King Maine locations. Maybe a type of anthology series like American Horror story. Whatever it turns out to be I now know that I’m going to need a Hulu subscription.
3. Live Action Lion King– Coming off his massive success with the live action Jungle Book, Jon Favereau will be teaming up with Disney again for a live action adaptation of the Lion King or Hamlet with lions (think about it). I have yet to see the Jungle Book but I think it’s currently on Netflix (yes? Correct me if I’m wrong) and it’s on my list of things to get to. While the Lion King is just getting started with the production phase, cast announcements were made last week which saw the return of James Earl Jones as Mufasa (oooooh, say it again) and Donald Glover who will be playing Simba. And good for Donald Glover, who is continuing to sky rocket with now this and his casting as Lando and mystery roll in Spider-Man: Homecoming (I think he’s Shocker). Now who will they cast to be Timon and Pumbaa?
4. Star Wars: Inferno– Did you guys know there’s going to be a sequel to Rogue One and it isn’t Episode IV- A New Hope? That’s right, Star Wars will be releasing Inferno later this year and it is meant to deal directly with the fallout of the stolen Death Star plans. A group of elite storm troopers look to exact revenge on the rebellion for their victory in Rogue One centering on what’s left of Saw Gerrera’s group of rebels, who are still fighting strong after the death of their leader. The book looks to be told from the Empire point of view which is something I’m looking forward to as it helps give the Empire a bit of a face. This year is really shaping up to be a great year for Star Wars content, especially books (don’t forget there’s a Jyn Erso book planned this year too).
5. Toy Fair Reveals New Pop Vinyls- Over the weekend, Toy Fair went down at the Javits Center and revealed a number of awesome products. My friend Michael, who works for a toy store, happened to be there and kept me up to speed with a number of cool things that she found including a list of upcoming Funko Pop Vinyls, and I’m a wee bit excited. I mean, Geeklings, they’re going to have Dark Tower pops. Dark. Tower. Pops. It validates everything I’ve ever wanted. I might even get emotional when I buy them. I might be getting emotional now. That’s not all as Toy Fair also released images of new Spider-Man: Homecoming, Westworld, and Game of Thrones pops to name a few. I swear to god this company is going to bankrupt me. Good thing I found a new shelving unit on Amazon today as I am running out of space here.
There you have it Geeklings, what are you looking the most forward to this week? Is there anything you would like to see added to the Week In Geek? Sound off in the comments below. I’ll see you all tomorrow as a brand new week at I Am Geek is just getting started.