Geeklings, what is going on? Did you miss me? Took the last few days of the week off to kind of reset the old mind tub and record episode two of the I Am Geek Podcast which is most likely dropping this Thursday. I can’t really get over how cool this whole thing is, it’s been a goal for awhile now and to actually have two episodes in the bag… feelin’ pretty good over here. Speaking of episode one, “Clown Lamps & TV Guides”, what did you guys think? Any insight is welcomed. Things you liked, things you didn’t like, or things you might want to see more of. By all means sound off in the comments below or on the Faceyspace page. We’re still learning here and we want to give you the best show possible.
If you haven’t gotten a chance to listen to episode one yet, don’t worry I forgive you, allow me to just place this here for your ear holes.
Now with that shameless plug out of the way let’s usher in a brand new Week In Geek, and I have a feeling that things are going to get preeetttttyyyy crazy over the next few days. Call it a hunch. I’ve got a bit of a change in writing schedule this week as I no longer have to write Walking Dead reviews on Mondays which leaves the main focus of the day at the Week In Geek. Tuesdays and Wednesdays are going to be my double up days, but I’m excited, as always, to get you guys the most content I can as the week progresses.
As I just mentioned we’ve got ourselves a week that could become all types of crazy town banana pants which means we’ve got a lot to cover today, and since I’ve already plugged the podcast (that’s not going to stop any time soon by the way) and told you my writing schedule I think it’s about time we started to break down this week.
1. Thor: Ragnarok trailer- Today was a typical Monday. Woke up, made peace with the fact that I would be working all week, you know the struggle, and then went to said job. Upon there I took a little “me” moment and discovered that Marvel dropped the new Thor trailer seemingly out of no where! I mean, I thought we were in full on Guardians Vol. 2 mode! This in no way is me complaining because this trailer was everything I hoped it would be. There’s a different feel within the walls of Thor: Ragnarok and the best way I can describe it is, rock n’ roll. Is it the stylized 80’s font or maybe the use of Led Zeppelin’s “Immigrant Song”, I’m not sure. But I can say that this teaser felt like it had it’s foot to the floor and it essentially just gave us an overview of what to expect. Cate Blanchett’s Hela looks allllllll types of imposing (she broke Mjolnir for gods sake), Thor gets a haircut (oh, how dreamy), Loki tosses knives, and we get our first glimpse of Planet Hulk (which lead to the best line of the trailer). This trailer had it all, and has me wondering if Mjolnir is broken could this possibly lead in the hammer/axe combo of the Ultimate Universe? All I know is that this trailer left me wanting more.
2. Better Call Saul season 3– Now this is something I’ve been looking forward to for awhile now. Each season of Saul has gotten progressively better as it’s explored not only Saul’s origin story but helped lay the foundation to what was to become Breaking Bad. One of my favorite things about Saul is how it doesn’t try to be Breaking Bad but instead exists on it’s own while inserting the DNA of television’s greatest show. There’s a lot to look forward to in season three. There’s the hope that Jimmy will finally become Saul Goodman and with the arrival of Gus Fring (hide your box cutters) expect a lot more Breaking Bad moments. If you’re looking for more of my thoughts on season three of Saul, and honestly I’ve got tons, then swing over to Fan Fest News and read my season preview column. I’m back writing episode reviews and couldn’t be more excited.
3. Star Wars Celebration- Circling back to what I was saying at the start of the column, I think we’re about to have ourselves a pretty big week. The much anticipated Star Wars Celebration arrives this week where we’ll be celebrating forty years of Star Wars. Forty years. Can you believe it? There are tons of rumors circulating the event, my favorite being that Disney will announce that they will release the original original films before George Lucas went and George Lucased all over them (not holding my breath), but the more realistic rumor is we might actually get our first glimpse of Episode VII. A Thor and Star Wars trailer in the same week?! I was not prepared for this. While the trailer is not a definite thing, tune into Good Morning America tomorrow as they’re supposed to be making a massive Star Wars announcement. If I was putting money on it, I would say that this will be the teaser to the teaser trailer to come out later this week, but I’ll take anything at this point and I might even weep as I watch it.
4. The Fate of the Furious– Can you believe that they have made eight of these movies? Who would have thought this was something that could have happened let alone that it would become such a money franchise. Seriously, these movies make some crazy bank. If I’m thinking waaaaaaay back to a time where I first started purchasing DVDs, I will openly admit that The Fast and the Furious was one of the first ones I ever bought. From there I’ve dabbled here and there in the series, the inclusion of The Rock has helped, and I’d be lying if I said there wasn’t some guilty pleasure anticipation for this film. It has that “right before summer movie season” feel to it. On top of that there will be cool car chases and I’m pretty sure I watched the Rock throw a torpedo at a tank in the trailer. I can get on board with that. Oh, and in case this movie needed a bit star power, Helen Mirren is somewhere in here. Does it make any sense? No. Does it make me curious? You bet.
5. Brian Michael Bendis leaves Guardians of the Galaxy comic- Up until the release of the first Guardians film, I had never read a Guardians comic book before. That all changed after that first movie and I was left with the need of all things concerning talking trees and raccoons. During the two or so years that I’ve been reading these books I’ve only know one writer, Brian Michael Bendis. Well, after this week that list will grow to two writers as Bendis will be bidding farewell to everyone’s favorite space outlaws. I understand that Bendis’s run has been kind of all over the place but for the most part I’ve really enjoyed it. The dialogue has always been sharp (as has the humor) and there have been some truly great moments. I always get nervous when there’s writing changes on books I love but here’s hoping that a little change could be a bit refreshing, if they only could do that with Amazing Spider-Man (sorry Dan Slott lovers). In his finale, Bendis looks to bring the Guardians face to face with Thanos one last time as I imagine their stay on Earth draws to an end. Here’s hoping that Bendis sticks the landing with his pretty epic run.
There you have it Geeklings. Lots to look forward to this week. If you feel that I’ve left anything off by all means share in the comments below. We’ll be back tomorrow with some new content… maybe even discussing a Star Wars trailer?! *gasp* I don’t want to get my hopes too high but eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee!
One thought on “Week In Geek: Thor Looks Awesome, Saul Gets Bad, and Star Wars Celebration”