Geeklings, I am not on vacation today (sadly) which means we can resume our regularly scheduled Week In Geek. I have to say, even though I was on vacation and getting some much needed R&R in last week, it did feel a tad bit strange not posting a Week In Geek. I mean, what’s a Monday without a Week In Geek? A pretty crappy Monday.
What do you say we kick this thing into high gear and start to break down the week ahead? Lots to look forward to starting wiiiiiiiiith….
1. Deadpool 2– Infinity War has been in theaters for three weeks now and has dominated the Box Office all three of those weeks to the surprise of no one. At this point, the film almost seems impossible to knock off the top spot, but Deadpool has always been an underdog story, hasn’t it? That’s right, Deadpool 2 finally hits theaters this Friday and with it comes another Josh Brolin villain. Do I expect Cable to overshadow Thanos? No, not at all. Do I expect his interactions with Wade Wilson to be awesome? Yes, yes I do. We already know what to expect from Ryan Reynolds in the title role, the man was born to play Deadpool, but this sequel looks to broaden the X-Men movie universe with the inclusion of X-Force, which is basically a mutant mercenary group, while bringing the same hijinx that made the first Deadpool film such a success. There is lots of ass to be kicked here and maximum effort should be given. Deadpool 2 has a lot to live up to when you consider the success of the first film, and the early buzz has been pretty positive, and this might just be the pallet cleanser we need to get over the emotional pain of Infinity War. At the very least we can use some crass humor.
2. Luke Cage season 2 trailer- This one dropped while I was on vacation last week but I felt it was still worthy of this weeks Week In Geek. Sometimes posting to the Facebook page just isn’t enough. I don’t know about you guys but this second season of Luke Cage looks pretty legit and I am loving how fired up Power Man is looking in these trailers. We get a good dose of humor, action, an interesting villain, and a callback to a number of characters from season one with this trailer and all of it left me wanting to binge this show like yesterday. I think we’re going to get an Iron Fist cameo here (please set up Heroes For Hire) but I’d love to see Jessica Jones and Luke cross paths again at some point. It’s got to happen…right? This trailer is fire and has me all types of fired up.
3. Brooklyn Nine-Nine– Late last week Fox brought down the ax on a number of its programs making many wonder just what will be airing on the station next season. Among the shows that got chopped was the beloved comedy Brooklyn Nine-Nine. I’m about a season behind on the show but I too was quite bummed that the show wouldn’t be continuing. I’ve said it for awhile now that the Nine-Nine is one of the most underappreciated comedies on television and the majority of the interwebs seemed to agree with me. Fans and celebrities took to social media hard, after the news, heartbroken and praying that the show would get picked up by another network. Enter NBC. I can’t believe I’m saying this but NBC swooped in and saved the day as it picked up season six of Brooklyn Nine-Nine much to the delight of the interwebs. Now I have a rocky relationship with NBC, mostly on their treatment of Community, but they are the home of The Good Place and if they want to focus on producing great comedy again then I’m all for it. They may always be the network that canceled Community before season six and three days after my father died, but they’ll also be the network that saved the Nine-Nine.
4. Deadly Class– This week most television networks are doing their upfronts where they announce their upcoming shows, lineups, and giving us our first glimpse of some of their new content. SyFy did just that today when they gave us our first glimpse of the new Russo Brothers project, Deadly Class. Based off the comic series by Rick Remender, Deadly Class is about a high school for assassins. Now, I’ve only read the first volume of comics, it’s next on my binge read list once I wrap Jason Aaron’s Jane Foster Thor run, but what I can tell you is this comic is gritty and intriguing not to mention violent. It is an assassin school afterall… set in the 80s. I think we get a super new wave soundtrack out of this one. This upcoming series was my introduction to the comics and I currently have the next four volumes sitting on my Fancy Comic Book Reader waiting to be devoured. Throw in the fact that it’s being lead by the Russo Brothers, who we all know can do a comic story, and you’ve got a recipe for something awesome.
5. 13 Reasons Why season 2– Rounding out the week is the release of season two of Netflix’s controversial drama, 13 Reasons Why. I have yet to watch season one, after hearing about its content I have yet to find myself in the mindset to watch it, but I suspect the Adorable Creature will be watching so I might have to play a quick game of catch up. Ugh, so many feels I’m not ready for. A lot of people wonder how there could be a second season based off the ending of season one and the fact that there is no supporting book for whatever comes next. Netflix though seems confident that the story they’re telling isn’t over and is important. Here’s hoping that season two lives up to the hype and doesn’t come across as a cash grab.
There you have it Geeklings, all the best things to look forward to this week. If there is something in particular that you’re geeking out about be sure to sound off in the comments or you can find me on Twitter @iamgeek32. Here’s to a great week!