Monday Monday (la la lala)…
Please take a minute to recover from the awesomeness that is my typed singing voice (I used italics, you had to have known I was singing. I even said “la la lala”. For those curious, no, I’m not singing every time I use italics.). For most people Monday is a big bag of suck but not for us. For we are Geeklings and Monday means…Week In Geek (I may or may not have been singing that).
1. Pearl Jam– This one doesn’t effect all of you but it effects me greatly. Sunday I’ll be off to the world’s most famous arena to see Pearl Jam melt some faces. To say I’m excited would be an understatement. This will be my sixth time seeing the band (seventh happening in August) and it gets better every time. Seriously, it’s the best three hours of life for me. Seventeen thousand people all gathered to rock and sing their throats hoarse song after song after song. Words can’t express what this bands music means to me, and maybe one day I’ll try (but today is not that day) so anytime time I get to see them it’s like Christmas Morning. Not to mention I thought this show was two weeks away (until my sister reminded me it was this Sunday) so it came as pleasant surprise. On top of that with the bootleg program the band has I’ll be able to download and listen to this show forever. It’s the gift that keeps on giving really.
2. The Mouse On the Mile by Stephen King– It seems like just last week I was talking about the re-release of the Green Mile as a serialized story (it was more like two weeks…I’m too lazy to check the archives. Seriously). This week sees the release of part two and should be what I read in between the Half Blood Prince and the Deathly Hallows. Thus far I’m really enjoying looking forward to the different releases of this book, the only thing that’s bugging me is how it’s viewed in Good Reads. I’m counting it as one read so the Green Mile just stays open until I finish. Which will be two months from now. My OCD can’t handle that part of this journey. It’s like “ugh I swear I’m reading it. You have to believe me!”. Other than that no complaints. Looking forward to part two. I already adore John Coffey as a character. As a matter of fact that didn’t take very long at all.
3. Final X-Men: Apocalypse Trailer- Man, May is really shaping up to be an awesome movie month. We are two weeks away from the release of Captain America: Civil War (eeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee), and Fox just released the final trailer for X-Men: Apocalypse which will be closing the month. The previous trailers had me boarding this train long ago but this one… this one sealed the deal. I’m very much looking forward to seeing how Apocalypse translates to screen and how Jean Grey and Cyclops fit into this new timeline… is it a new timeline? I’m still sort of confused on that. Any way make sure you watch the post trailer scene (I think that’s a thing now) as a certain someone makes a cameo. Oh! And did you guys notice that Mystique is sort of wearing an outfit that is similar to her comic book wardrobe? Not exact but it looked like it was sort of paying homage to it. I can live with that. #bringontheskullbelt
4. Return of Arrow– I said it when Flash went on break and I’ll say it again now… why did these shows need to take two to three weeks off? Made no sense to me considering how they had just returned from breaks. I digress. I’ll be happy to have Arrow back on my TV screen this week as it gears up for the finale. The last episode was a bit of a tear jerker and answered the question of whose in the grave. Now we get to deal with the fallout which should be all types of awesome. Team Arrow is gonna be pissed.
5. Prince– Last week was kind of a bummer as the world said good-bye to the Purple One. I’ve always been a Prince fan and was shocked and saddened to hear of his death. I always figured Prince was eternal as he was some magical, musical, elf like creature who just emerged from the ether. I would often pose the question, “Is Prince sexy or is his music sexy”, to mixed results. I feel since his music is sexy (I’m pretty sure if you put sex to music that’s how it should sound) that makes Prince sexy. One can not exist without the other (kind of like a certain Harry Potter prophecy… did he just make a Harry Potter reference while talking about Prince? Yes, yes he did). There was something so undeniably cool about the very existence of Prince and it extended well beyond his music. People often overlook the fact that he was one hell of a guitar player (some would even consider putting him in higher ups of that list and I wouldn’t dispute them) but his music spoke for itself. He was an ambassador of the weird whose music was funky, electric, sexy, smooth and infectious. I hear that he has a bank vault worth of unreleased tracks so there’s hope that there will be Prince music for years to come. Long live the Purple One!
My buddy Brad showed me this video yesterday (hiiiiiii Brad) and this is just the perfect way to describe Prince. Playing a bluesy version of Cream while admonishing the crowd for not singing on key. Prince demanded perfection not only from himself but those who came to see him preform. Which I never got to see. I hate that. Dear 2016, that’ll due.