Geeklings, the Fortress of Nerditude is currently without internet access. I’ll give you a minute to let that set in. No interwebs for me when I get home. That means, no Faceyspace, no YouTube worm holes, no IMDB, no AppleTV or Netflix, no nothing. Essentially I am cut off from the rest of the world when I get home. Until I get a new modem tomorrow that is, but let me tell you guys, it takes something like this to make me realize how dependent I am on the interwebs. I just kind of sit there feeling like Tom Hanks in Cast Away with Hudson the Cat being my more vocal Wilson like companion. Life is hard my friends.
With that being said though, there was no way I was going to miss a Week In Geek column because we all know that’s something that doesn’t happen here! No interwebs be damned, the people need to be prepped for the geeky comings and goings of the week. And that’s exactly what I’m here to do. Without any further delay, or complaining how I am literally cut off from the outside world as soon as I walk in the door, let’s get to what to expect this week.
1. The Walking Dead season finale- If you’re reading my Fan Fest Walking Dead reviews, of course you are, then you know that I’ve felt that this season has been a tad bit up and down. Honestly, I thought it started off really solid with some of the shows best work but quickly went into wheel spinning mode once it returned from winter break (ps my newest review can be found here). It appears that war with the Saviors is finally upon us (took them long enough) and it’s time for some bullets to fly. The back half of season seven has been building to this moment and it’s about time we got some resolution. It wouldn’t be a season finale if everyone lived so let’s start the deadpool now. My money’s on Sasha. Thoughts?
2. Legion season finale– Oh. My. God. Do I love this show. Like love love. Like love love love. Everything about Legion has been brilliant and breath taking and refreshing (if you don’t believe me you can read my thoughts here), and I am actually sad to see the season end. Although I would argue eight episodes was the perfect amount. I don’t even know where to begin with where things are headed. Last week’s episode, Chapter 7, opened the door a little more to the larger X-Men universe but there is still plenty left to be discovered. I enjoy how self contained these characters currently are and look forward to a little resolution while setting up the direction for next season. My only hope is that the show doesn’t lose Aubrey Plaza who appears to be having the time of her life in this role. At times she is hands down the best thing on this show. Ugh, does it have to end?
3. New Spider-Man: Homecoming Trailer- Last week saw a number of new Spider-Man: Homecoming posters released, and each of them left me feeling a bit giddy inside. I’m praying that this is the Spider-Man movie I’ve always wanted and I’m starting to believe that it could be. We learned today that not all of those posters were for nothing as there is a new trailer being released tomorrow. I’m hoping it’s kind of a mid-day type thing because if it’s at midnight my lack of interwebs will prevent me from watching it (curse youuuuuuuuu cable provider). I thought the first trailer was a nice way to introduce the tone of this movie and would hope this newest trailer starts to expand on Peter Parker’s new world a bit. While I’m struggling with current Spider-Man comics, I’m turning to Homecoming to remind me why this character resonates so deeply with me.
4. Ghost In The Shell– I was never a big anime guy, outside of Berserk that is because that shit was craaaaaaazy, but I went through a phase where I tried it. Most geeks do I think. It sticks for some of us while others move on to other things. I do recall watching Ghost In the Shell but I honestly don’t remember much of it. I almost want to say that I didn’t watch all of the movie. I am curious about the live action adaptation though but wonder if Scarlett Johansson is the right person to carry it. I have a roller coaster like relationship with Johansson. I’ve grown to love her in the Black Widow role and really believe that she deserves and has earned a solo film, but I also saw Lucy. I may not be running to the theater to see Ghost but if someone suggested it to me I would definitely take a moment to consider it. The action looks kind of Matrix like and the visuals are eye pleasing. Here’s hoping the film doesn’t flop.
5. Justice League/Avengers trailer mash-up– On Saturday I unleashed my thoughts of the new Justice League trailer and not all of it was glowing. As a matter of fact I don’t think much it was glowing. What can I say, I have a particular set of standards. Like maybe understanding the characters you’re bringing to life. This item isn’t about that though. This item is about the magic of the interwebs (something that currently isn’t my house… oh god I can’t escape this). Some genius mashed up the new Justice League trailer with scenes from Avengers- Age of Ultron and it’s splendid. The premise is mostly the Avengers reacting to the fact that they’re no longer the only super hero group in the world. A tough thing for any group of badass heroes to come to terms with. Hilarity ensues. If you’re looking for a way to improve the Justice League trailer this could be it.
There you have it Geeklings. Anything you’re particularly looking forward to this week? Sound off in the comments below. If you have any geeky things you’d like to discuss then you can find me on Twitter @iamgeek32 or on the Faceyspace page. See you all back tomorrow in a world where I hopefully have internet.