Well would you look at that, it’s Tuesday and there’s a brand new Week In Geek for your eyeholes. I’m sure some of you are wondering, “what happened to Monday?”, and that’s a fair question. The answer is I went to the Giants game and watched them embarrass themselves on national television, again, and was unable to get any writing done. I wanted to post something to the Faceyspace page buuuuuuut I had no connection and was unable to do that. Hence the Tuesday edition of the Week In Geek.
Everyone feel up to speed now?
Now if you’ll excuse me, it’s Tuesday and we’re already a little behind so let’s break this sucker down.
1. The Flash– I honestly can’t believe that September is almost over. Seriously, today is the 19th, and there isn’t a whole lot of month left. On the plus side though it means that the majority of television programming will be coming back to our sets soon and the CW wanted to remind us of that with a brand-spankin’ new Flash trailer. Picking up on the end of last season, obviously… oh wait, there are spoilers ahead so brace your eyeholes if you’re still binge watching on Netflix. Okay, S P O I L E R S begin now— it looks like the show is going to be trying to tackle a world without Barry Allen and the effect that it has on this cast of characters. The trailer doesn’t really go into how much time has passed but I am surprised to see the state of Iris and the total lack of Wally. I for one am hoping that Barry stays off screen for a few episodes to really drive home the impact of his absence but I’m not getting that vibe from this trailer. If you’re a fan of the comics, it seems that this years season will be focusing on the Reborn storyline so you might want to beef up before October 10th. In the meantime let’s all celebrate the fact that our superhero shows are right around the corner.
2. American Vandal– I want to say that a month or so ago I posted something about this show here on the page but I could be mistaking that with a post on the Faceyspace page (a quick search through the archives says it was on the Faceyspace page). Anyway, the Adorable Creature and I binged the entire season over the weekend and I have to say that I absolutely loved it. Like a lot. For those of you who don’t know, the premise is a student is blamed for spraying painting man parts on the cars of 27 teachers. What follows is a true crime parody that breaks down the possibility that maybe it wasn’t him. I was incredibly impressed with the amount of depth and realism given to this project despite its obviously ridiculous crime. I often forgot that the story was fictional. I hear season two is in the works but if you’re looking for something that’s addictive and a quick binge then look no further.
3. Kingsman 2: The Golden Circle— Let’s be honest for a second, shall we? The first Kingsman film was better than it had any right to be. I was pleasantly surprised at how good that movie was and unaware of just how much ass Colin Firth could kick. Of course, this means there would be a sequel and that sequel will be dropping on Friday. I’ve seen the trailers and the cast looks solid and all signs point to the wanting to up the action from the original, but I do worry that this will come across more as a cash grab than anything. The very appearance of Colin Firth alone seems to be capitalizing on what made the first movie so great while not putting a lot of faith in the cast to do it without him, but maybe I’ll be wrong. Perhaps the Kingsman franchise will surprise yet again.
4. Even More Rick and Morty Pops- I’ll be honest with you Geeklings, I am loving how all in Funko has been on the Rick and Morty pop vinyl front. We’ve already had announcements for two Pickle Rick pops not to mention last weeks Rick and Morty pop announcement, and here we are again with more Rick and Morty pop announcements! Oh, happiest of happy days! This new batch includes a Target exclusive combo of Toxic Rick and Morty as well as the Nathan Fillion voiced alien from the season three premiere. You know, the one who was eating the Szechuan chicken sauce. On top of that a new NYCC exclusive of assassin extraordinar, Krombopulos Michael is coming our way. These NYCC exclusives are killing me at this point. I have no idea where to focus my energy now. Rick and Morty pops for everyone!
5. The Possible Return of Jean Grey– There are some things in comic books that remain constant. That’s the deaths of the Waynes and Uncle Ben and the always inevitable resurrection of Jean Grey. This has been Jean’s longest stretch of time being dead but it looks like an upcoming Marvel book is set to change that. Phoenix Resurrection tasks itself to bring Jean Grey back to life for the first time in thirteen years. What does this mean for Marvel’s current time-displaced Jean Grey? Not a clue, but Jean Grey has always been one of my favorite X-Men and I’ll be curious to see how they handle her return. One that might seem long overdue.