Oh, Deadpool, you sneaky, sneaky devil you. I’ll tell you Geeklings, the last thing I expected to see today was a Deadpool 2 trailer. Listen, I’m still basking in the awesomeness of the Avengers Infinity War trailer. I’ve been so consumed with the release of Infinity War that I’ve forgotten that there is a slew of geek related films also coming out in May. Up until Infinity War changing its release date to April, there were three major films coming out in May.
May will see the release of Solo, you know, the Star Wars spin-off that we really haven’t seen much of? Honestly, I can’t believe this movie is only a month a way. I feel like it’s just going to show up and no one is really going to know what to do about it. What’s the excitement level for this film? It just seems for a Star Wars film, that happens to be directed by Ron Howard, there has been very little hype for this thing. All that has me feeling kind of “meh” about it. I’m not unexcited to see it but I’m not over the moon either. I’m hoping that the hype machine picks up over the next month but right now Solo is sitting firmly in the shadow of Disney’s other blockbuster.
Sandwiched in between these two Disney owned films is a movie that I guess is sort of owned by Disney now… I think? That’s how that works, right? How about this, sandwiched in between these two Disney owned films is a film that now has Disney connections… Deadpool 2. That film that somehow slipped in a brand new trailer today and took everyone, or maybe just me, off guard.
There I was quickly taking a second to scroll through Instagram this morning where I happened to see Deadpool counting down from three to a new trailer. I didn’t know what to do. I couldn’t watch it at that exact moment (#iwassupposedtobeworking) so I did the only thing I could think of. I posted to the I Am Geek Facebook page and went back to it at lunch. This way I was providing you guys with a peek, I’m sure generous like that, and knew where to find it later. It was a win-win.
What did I think of this out of nowhere trailer? It certainly didn’t bring the heavy amount of feels like the Infinity War trailer but it did make me want to immediately go back and watch the first Deadpool. Deadpool is an important voice in superhero movies right now. Not only is he so vastly different than anything else but it goes to show that not all superhero movies are cut from the same cloth. That some of them can be crazy town banana pants.
Here some quick highlights for me.
- I’m just happy to see more Dopinder. What a randomly strange/funny character he is. “Strong thighs” was such a random compliment to attribute someone who is “living the dream”.
- Cable is going to be a lot of fun especially when you put that gunslinger, gruff mentality up against Deadpool’s craziness and fourth wall breaking. I’ve always enjoyed their relationship in the comics because on paper it seems like it shouldn’t work but somehow gels so perfectly. One question though, is the kid with the fire hands the actual kid Cable is looking for or could it be someone else? We’ve seen a teddy bear on his utility belt that has some X-Men fans wondering, myself included, if Hope Summers will be the focal point of Cable’s exploits. This kid seems kind of like a misdirect but then again maybe not.
- Deadpool in Professor X’s chair. That. Is. All.
- I’m happy to see that the movie will be keeping that same tongue and cheek mentality that made the first one so tremendous. It’s easy to get worried, based on the trailer, that they’re turning Deadpool into just another superhero action movie but it’s the little things here that show us it’s not straying from the formula that made it a hit in the first place.
- X-Force! Our first look at Deadpool 2 hinted at the idea of an X-Force team but this trailer confirms the hell out of it. Who is X-Force? Well, essentially they’re a mutant strike force looking to eliminate any threats to mutants. In the comics, they’re lead by Cable, and maybe one day will be, but I think using Deadpool as a jumping on point for X-Force is a great idea. It allows the X-Men movie franchise to expand and makes the team completely accessible. I don’t know how many non-comic readers know who or what X-Force is, but putting Deadpool in the lead automatically ups the care factor. Especially when rumors of there being an X-Force movie are floating out in the ether.
- Is it just me or is anyone loving how retro and stylized Domino looks? I already want her to have her own movie and she only gets a few lines here.
There have been a number of rumors that Deadpool 2 test screenings were being received poorly, a rumor that was shot down earlier this week as the scores now seem to be higher than the original film. Take that internet trolls. After viewing this trailer a handful of times, it’s what I do, I’m filled with a lot of optimism. Deadpool 2 could be the superhero movie hug we need to follow the emotional feels driven Infinity War.
On top of that, there are rumors that right now, this very second, that the film is reshooting some scenes to squeeze into the theatrical release. Normally reshoots this late into the game are a bit concerning but there are a number of rumors circling that these shoots have less to do with fixing things that are wrong and more like adding things that are awesome. Like a possible cameo. Of who? No one knows but we can speculate. Was Ryan Reynolds able to talk Hugh Jackman into making a Wolverine appearance? Or maybe, just maybe, will Disney use Deadpool 2 as the film to connect the X-Men movies to the MCU? How bonkers would that be? If that’s true then you have to think that Spider-Man would be a perfect fit? Let the rumor mill begin!
What did you think Geeklings? Did this trailer make you even more excited for Deadpool 2? Whose looking forward to seeing the X-Force on the big screen? Can Deadpool 2 actually top Deadpool? Sound off in the comments below. If you’d like to talk more about Deadpool you can find me on Twitter @iamgeek32. As a parting gift allow me to leave you with the write up of the movie. Yes, this is very real and the actual studio description of the film. It’s awesome
After surviving a near fatal bovine attack, a disfigured cafeteria chef (Wade Wilson) struggles to fulfill his dream of becoming Mayberry’s hottest bartender while also learning to cope with his lost sense of taste. Searching to regain his spice for life, as well as a flux capacitor, Wade must battle ninjas, the yakuza, and a pack of sexually aggressive canines, as he journeys around the world to discover the importance of family, friendship, and flavor – finding a new taste for adventure and earning the coveted coffee mug title of World’s Best Lover.