Geeklings, it’s the day after Christmas and I hope all of you had the best possible holiday ever. I missed you guys over our short little holiday break, only a few days honestly, and I know that there was no Week In Geek yesterday but I’ve got something a little better for you this week. That’s right, it’s the final week of the year which means here I Am Geek it’s time to celebrate the year that was.
In years past I would come here and post a column a day for ten days counting down my favorite moments of the year, and while that type of list has been enjoyable, I thought I would maybe change it up a little this year. Instead of just doing ten things I thought I would do things using the trusty category tool. Over the next few days, I’m going to be breaking down my favorite movies, television shows, television episodes, and my favorite comics of the year. I might throw in some miscellaneous stuff in too because there was a lot of pop culture goodness this year and I want to make sure I cover all of it. Needless to say, it’s going to be a busy next couple of days here at I Am Geek as we celebrate all the awesome we’ve experienced together.
In fact, we’re starting today.
That’s right, we’re not going to be waiting to jump into the 2017 review. We’re going to start that shiz right now, but before we look on the outside, we’re going to turn the microscope in and get a bit reflective. 2017 was a tremendous year for us here at I Am Geek as we had guest writers, writing and content improved, and we finally started the podcast we had been talking about (season two coming in January with a bit more structure and a bit more steady… wheels in motion). Now with 2017 coming to a close, I thought it would be kind of fun to see what the top five most-read columns were. I’m not going to lie, I was a little bit surprised with some of them.
Alright, 2017 is coming to an end so let’s break this bad boy down with the top five I Am Geek columns.
5. Lessons In Podcasting– I kind of like that “Lessons In Podcasting” made the list here as it helps to illustrate the fact that everything at I Am Geek is a bit of a learning experience. I’ve never done a podcast prior to I Am Geek and thought it could be a medium that I would excel at. I’ve found that it is something that I greatly enjoy doing and might have a knack for (I’m being modest I totally have a knack for it), but it doesn’t come without some bumps in the road. Sometimes you need to have a more solid outline for your episode, especially if there’s a guest. Also, it might be best if maaaaaaybe the crew doesn’t drink a few beers before the recording session. Maybe…
4. Special Announcement– This one I’m especially proud of. During the course of the year, my role at Fan Fest has kind of grown a bit. I’ve been writing a lot of content for them as well as pitching new ideas. One of which I really hope takes off next year as it’s super exciting, but hopefully more on that as it develops. One of the things I had been pushing for since I was hired by the company was doing a podcast and I finally got that wish a couple of months ago. We Speak Geek is my brainchild and it’s been really awesome seeing it come to life with my awesome co-host McKenzie Morrell. We’re three episodes in, hopefully recording episode four in the upcoming week, and it feels that things are getting better and better. Really excited about the future of the project and beyond thankful for the opportunity Fan Fest is giving me.
3. Superman the Movie vs Man of Steel– It’s always a pleasure when friend of the site, Eric Landro, stops by with new material for your eyeholes. “Superman the Movie vs Man of Steel” was a project that was very dear to Eric and his love for the subject shinned through in the content he provided. One of my favorite things about collaborating with Eric is his passion for his topics. I’ll talk to him daily as he fleshes out his idea and pitches things my way. You can never question Eric’s passion and that’s evident in this piece right here. Eric is a busy guy but I know he’s working on some great things for 2018 that I’m really excited to attach to I Am Geek.
2. Logan and the Feels– I was really, really proud of this review and I’m happy to see it as the number two most read column of the year (well tied for number one). Logan was a powerhouse of a film, I’m actually debating whether or not to watch it tonight, that not only changed what we’ve come to know about superhero movies but acted as a fantastic send off to an iconic character. Of course, we’ll see Wolverine again somewhere down the line but the importance and emotion of Logan will be difficult to eclipse. It’s raw and unapologetic much like the character himself.
1. Jen & Paul’s Excellent Game of Thrones Adventure Season 1– Tied at the number one spot comes Jen and Paul’s quick takes on watching Game of Thrones for the first time. Geeklings, I had been pushing for years to get the two of them to watch this show and I’m so happy they finally did. Not only was it a blast reliving these moments with them, those Red Wedding feels can hit hard as hell, but it lead to the most enjoyable Game of Thrones viewing experience yet. We’re talking outside viewings with fire pits and Game of Thrones inspired snacks and drinks. We even did a roundup of the season on the podcast. “Jen & Paul’s Excellent Game of Thrones Adventure…” lead to some of the most fun television experiences of the year and makes me happy that it was tied as I Am Geek’s most-read column of the year.
There you have it Geeklings, these were the top five columns of the year. What was your favorite? Was there something you read on I Am Geek and loved that didn’t make the list? Sound off in the comments below or you can find me on Twitter @iamgeek32 to talk all things geeky. I’ll be back tomorrow with more best of 2017 action… tomorrow we’re covering movies!
One thought on “Best of 2017- I Am Geek”